ALL ABOUT LIVING WITH A REAL AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER || american staffordshire terrier

ALL ABOUT LIVING WITH A REAL AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER

Dogumentary TV, producing the best breed documentaries on YouTube. (dog barks) - My name is Hai Truong, I'm from Los Angeles. I've raised American PitbullTerriers for quite a while. In the nineties, I started getting into them, but my father in the eighties already had them in the yard so we got acquainted with them in the early eighties. My dad was really into dogs, he had all kinds of dogs, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans. But, the American pit bull terrier really stuck with me and my brother and we just loved them from day one. When we got out of high school, we started looking for dogs for ourselves. The American Pitbull Terrier was the only dog we wanted. We got our first dog and after that, I was given a dog from a family relative. 


ALL ABOUT LIVING WITH A REAL AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER

ALL ABOUT LIVING WITH A REAL AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER

A purple ribbon UK Ayshea Pitbull Terrier. It was just different having my own dog how I want to raise it, so I started raising the dog in the house. Learning how to handle a pit bull in the home you know? It was quite an experience, I got into a lot of trouble with that dog. (laughs) She was an escape artist, she got out of the yard a lot, animal control came. It was a lot of trouble for me during those years, I was in college as well so I didn't have a lot of money to do training. I didn't even know about that whole world of training. It wasn't until my second pitbull, Sky that I met Larry soon after and I started working with Larry Hansen. That's when she kind of opened the World up to me. 

AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER

I met Larry Hansen in Fresno I think sometime in the early nineties I would say? Or mid-nineties? She was competing with Wes's grandfather, Goose at the time and that was the first time I was at a dog sports competition where I saw Sonny Boyowned by Dan Guerrera. An American Pitbull Terrier as well and Goose was competing at that trial and yeah, it blew my mind. I didn't know Pitbulls were doing that kind of stuff. Years later I had my dog Sky and I contacted Larry, I said I need help, I want to get into training. She's always willing to help anybody. We met and she was working with me for a couple years. Sky passed away and it Wasnt that long after she passed away, Larry called me and says hey, I have a puppy. 

american pit bull

If you're interested, come by and check him out. She said it was out of her male Capone at the time, it's a son of Capone. Capone was like awesome so I went down there and I already knew I was gonna buy the pup, so I just went down there, and yeah, I paid her and the rest is history. She's been helping me ever since, she helps me train him answers all my questions. You know, anytime. What makes him a great pet? I think their temperament is really good, as far as people are concerned. They get along with people very well, they're very happy when they meet and greet people. 

american bull terrier

I like the fact that they're short coats and you can keep them in the house and it's a fairly clean living situation because of that. They're pretty good guard dogs, they're not barky but when they bark there somebody at the door or in the property, so I kind of like that. They're fun to be around, they're really playful. They're playful animals, they're not lazy. Like my dog Wes, if I call him he comes, he's never like I don't want to come to you. He always comes to me. They're very loving, yeah, he's very affectionate. 

pit terrier

The two American PitbullTerriers that I had before, were females and I felt that the females didn't have that affection like the males do. For some reason, that could be just from my experience, but he's very affectionate, he likes to cuddle he just chills all day on the bed and watch TV with me for hours, so yeah every cool, I like him. For me, I always tell people that you have to know their history and respect the dog, of what the dog really is. You know and it is a fighting dog you know. 

american pit bull terrier puppies

You have to take that into consideration. Other than that you can just have an American Pitbull Terrier and leave him in the yard and just leave them be you know? There's a lot of supervision involved in that sense. For me, I think training important, to have a little bit of control over your dog. You're going to have a happier dog when the dog is well behaved and trained and the dog listens to you. 

american pit bull terrier similar breeds

You know you don't want the dog getting into trouble. As far as genetics is concerned, you have to consider that they are or can be dog aggressive or animal aggressive. This breed has a very high prey drive so for me, I think training, obedience training particularly is the most important. That really builds the bond between you and your dog. Having that control, the dog knowing what you want from it at certain times. And just having the dog giving their attention to you. 

the world of the american pit bull terrier

The training really really helps with the management of dog aggression. (dog barks) For my dog, he does have dog aggression, Wes is a dog aggressive animal. But he does well, with all the training it really helps. I've never had an incident with him, I try to keep it 100%, as far as me holding his leash tight or being aware of my surroundings and stuff like that, I have to be 100% at all times. An accident can happen in a second, but yeah, he's never had an accident or anything like that. First thing in the morning when I wake up, I walk him, and then I go to work, then during the afternoon, my neighbor Maury gives him a walk. I get home around 6 p.m.from work and then I give him another walk. 

american staffordshire blue nose

He gets about three to four walks a day and that kind of keeps him, keeps me busy at least. It keeps him happy, he likes to walks he likes to go outside. The main activities I do with Wes are french ring training, slat millwork, I do road work on the bicycle, and just obedience training at the park. On the weekends I train with SoCal Aubrey Ringers, which's a french ring club here in Los Angeles, in the South Bay. We do obedience and protection work there, bite work, and he gets to you know, kind of let off some steam out there. At the same time, I learned how to control him in that environment as far as the sport is concerned. During the week I go to my friend's house and we do slat millwork, put them on for like 15 minutes let them run. And, give them another 15-minute walk and that's that. At home we do training as well, in here and at the park so, I focus on obedience usually. It's kind of hard to do protection sport when you're by yourself so, I let the club handle all that stuff. Wes is on a raw diet, I use the prey model for his diet, so he eats basically raw meat and bones, I do supplements as well, coconut oil, organic olive oil, and digestive enzymes, and stuff like that. I also add what's that, green tripe for probiotics and stuff like that. 

real american pitbull terrier breeders

My previous pitbull Sky, she had allergies and I dealt with it for 11 years. A lot of vet visits, a lot of money, and she was kind of miserable most of the time. She had chronic ear infections and itchy skin. After her, when I got Wes started doing a lot of research on diet and food and stuff like that. He was on kibble for a couple years and then I switched to raw just to make sure he's good. It's great, I mean his skin and coat it's always nice and shiny. He has no like odor, there's like histamine odor or nothing like that. His teeth are still pretty good you know for a seven-year-old dog, so I don't brush his teeth I just let the bones do the work. 

american pit bull terrier boxer mixamerican pit bull terrier boxer mix

Yeah, a raw diet is excellent, it really cleans up the dog. Weight management is a lot easier. The number one thing is probably there's less (bleep) to pick up, yeah. (laughs) The American Pitbull Terrier from what I've heard, they do have health issues like hip dysplasia, I've had problems with allergy, I've seen dogs with vision problems, but for the most part, they're a pretty healthy breed. Personally my dogs, only one of three had a health issue that I dealt with, but Wes, Wes is probably the healthiest dog I've ever had. I think that's by genetics, just good breeding, yeah. I do not recommend a beginner owning an American Pitbull Terrier. They're a handful, yeah, they require work. You need to be engaged with them. You definitely have to put a lot of things into consideration, like the living space, your yard, you know the fact that they could be dog aggressive things like that. Yeah, a beginner might not be aware of a lot of things.

pit bull average weight

 So, like I said, I got into a lot of trouble with my first dog, so I know. As far as age group I think if you're mature enough to have a good one, but usually, that what after your twenties or after college you know. As far as being older if you don't know how to train a dog that could be a problem 'cause an AmericanPitbull Terrier they're pretty strong dogs. So, if you're older and you take them for a walk and they want to chase something, they're gonna go. So again, the training comes into play and all that stuff. A good age is definitely 25 to 55 I think that's a good age range. As an owner of an AmericanPitbull Terrier, yeah, you have to stay active as well. 

red nose american pitbull terrier breeders

I think if you're lazy that's going to be a problem. So, you definitely want to walk your dog a few times a day at least, that's the minimum you can do for your dog but, more strenuous activities are ideal. I like to keep my dog indoors because I like him to always be with me he's my companion he's my buddy. He's cleaner in the house, I feel safer being in my house with him in it. I know when someone's at the door, I sleep well at night, he sleeps right next to me on his own bed.

pitbull terrier

 So there are definitely advantages to having the dogs indoors. They get used to it, he's used to being indoors so if I throw him outside, he's not even going to know what that is. (laughs) He's going to scratch at the door, so. At this point, there really no rules, 'cause he's really conditioned to be a house dog now. As you can see, her schilling behind me here. Before, at the beginning yeah, the rules were pretty simple, you know don't go to the restroom inside the house and don't bite anything of mine. In the beginning, I trained him to bite his own toys. Chew on his own toys and that was it, if he tried to go for my shoe I would just switch it with a toy. Now he's conditioned to not, he doesn't touch anything in my house. I've had a sofa before and he would get on the sofa if I give him permission. Even in my bed, he doesn't jump on my bed unless I let him on. He's pretty good like that. 


The living space this breed requires if the apartment is okay with it, yeah you can raise an American Pitbull Terrier in an apartment, but again you know you definitely have to potty train it and you have to have a dog walker to help you during the day if you're at work. You can't just have them in your apartment for eight, ten hours and expect it to be okay you know. If you make it work, definitely it's do-able. Usually, with people I if I feel they're kind of scared of dogs in general, I would just put him away. Because I just do trust people the way they handle things. If they're cool with Wes, I just tell them to greet him by his name and act like you've known him for a long long time. Just play with him and be relaxed and he'll open up. I don't think there are any drawbacks to owning an American Pitbull Terrier if you know what you're doing. If you really take the time to consider what the dog really is. 


Joining a club and training and stuff like that it's very important. But no, I haven't had any drawbacks really, I guess we kind of adapted to each other as far as raising a dog indoors, he's my third one so I've learned a lot since then. The American Pitbull Terrier is very loving and loyal, very driven, they love their family, they definitely like to play a lot, so keeps you busy keeps you young you know. But again, I never recommend a beginner go out and buy an American pit bull terrier, I would never do that.


 I know how much work it takes so with my dog since day one when I got him I joined the club, I started working with Larry Hansen and Adrienne Santino with SoCal Aubrey Ringerswe've been training on and off for almost seven years now. He's not.. at the point where we want him, but as far as the pets I really like where we're at with him. I always thought about getting another, a smaller breed when I'm older obviously. Like I said, Pitbulls are strong dogs so, you definitely have to train them to be able to handle them. 

I would like a Frenchy one day. For now, the AmericanPitbull Terrier is my breed, I wouldn't switch, don't plan to not anytime soon. 

Comments